H&H Insurance Brokers launch a Bespoke Insurance Policy - Smallholder Protect Policy, specially for Small-Scale Farmers.

Often a big issue for smaller scale farmers and small holders is finding insurance cover designed and suitable for their needs, from the consequences of liability, loss or damage. That’s why, Carlisle-based H&H Insurance Brokers (HHIB), who has an in-depth understanding of this market, has launched Smallholder Protect®, a bespoke policy which offers cover to those with less than 50 acres of land, 24/7 for 365 days of the year.

Smallholder Protect® has been designed to cater for most smallholdings, small working farms or hobby farmers that own under 50 acres, and HHIB, who is highly respected within the industry, is one of very few companies to offer this type of service in the UK.

Giving background to this new service, Paul Graham, Managing Director at H&H Insurance Brokers, said: “Although small scale farmers may not face as many issues as their larger neighbours, they do still have an enterprise to run. As such the threats and liabilities are just as real, and of course the assets of their business need protecting.”

“With increasing numbers of people interested, and taking up small-scale farming, there has a been a growth in demand for this type of specialist product. For many in this sector, they are fully aware that they are not in the business of commercial farming, but they are however aware that it is still essential to be protected. Smallholder Protect® does just this and ensures that their needs are covered.”

“As a firm of rural insurance brokers, we fully understand that it is not always possible to call an office between 9-5, so we have launched a dedicated website,, to ensure that people can still get a quotation and cover 24/7 for 365 days of the year. By paying online, your cover starts immediately, or on the date you select, and all your documents will be sent via email too”, adds Paul.

Very competitively priced, Smallholder Protect® also boasts a wide range of cover such as agricultural buildings and contents, livestock, machinery, plus all liability needs – public, product and even employers. It can also include home and contents insurance if you choose to – so everything is covered under the one policy with one renewal date to remember. Cover for Employer’s Liability is included as standard and extends to helpers and friends who lend you a hand on a voluntary basis – an essential in today’s world.

Paul concludes: “If you are over the 50-acre limit or need to discuss further cover, you may call us on 0345 646 0170, and we can discuss your needs to ensure we get the right cover for you.”

Smallholder Protect® is a trading name of H&H Insurance Brokers, who marked its 30th year in 2017 and is one of the largest specialist independent insurance brokers in the UK, providing farm and rural businesses with bespoke insurance policies.

Find out more