Euro blow for Barry
Gareth Barry has been ruled out of England's Euro 2012 campaign with a tear to his lower abdomen.
The news was confirmed after Barry had a scan in the north-west on Monday. Everton's Phil Jagielka has been called up as his replacement, the Football Association confirmed.
"I am very disappointed to lose Gareth, not only was he a member of my original 23-man squad but he has featured prominently in the England team over the last few years," said manager Roy Hodgson.
"I know how much he wanted to be part of the tournament but I'm sure he will still have a part to play with England after the Euros. I wish him a speedy recovery."
Barry's place was in doubt after he lasted less than half an hour in a second-half appearance in Saturday's friendly win over Norway in Oslo.
After the game Hodgson said he may have to trust Barry to let him know exactly how bad the injury was.
It is not thought that was necessary, though, with scans indicating there was no way the Manchester City man was going to be fit to play any meaningful role in Poland and Ukraine this summer.
Jagielka had been tipped to come in and strengthen Hodgson's defensive options. The Everton man was produced an excellent performance in Norway alongside Joleon Lescott - a pairing that kept Spain out in November and are now pressurising Chelsea duo John Terry and Gary Cahill.
They will report for duty at England's Watford base on Tuesday, along with the remainder of Hodgson's 23-man squad.
That number will include Danny Welbeck and Glen Johnson, who had been doubts with ankle and toe injuries respectively.
However, it seems those problems have cleared up, along with Scott Parker's Achilles injury, and the FA are anticipating having to make no further changes when they submit their official squad to UEFA at 11am on Tuesday.