Share your views on smallholding with others. Send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS 80360
Olympic torch flame goes out
The Olympic torch has gone out out for the first time during the London 2012 relay, organisers have confirmed.
The torch was attached to the side of Para-badminton star David Follett's wheelchair in Great Torrington, Devon, when the flame went out. But a replacement torch was brought out from the convoy of vehicles and was lit from the mother flame.
A spokeswoman for LOCOG said: "The flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner. It is not uncommon for a flame to go out and this can happen for a number of reasons, for example, in extreme winds. We keep the mother flame in specially designed miners' lanterns so if the flame does go out for some reason on the relay we relight it from the source of the flame."
Follett was left paralysed at 19 when he was struck by a car.
But after returning to college to complete his A-Levels, he looked at what sports were available to wheelchair athletes and helped to set up a badminton club.
With his playing partner, Follett has been unbeaten for three years in the four nations competitions and he is now the Para-badminton world No 1 in his class.