Share your views on smallholding with others. Send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS 80360
Timely countryside winter advice from Cambridgeshire Police
1:06pm Thursday 25th October 2012 in News
As we are now approaching the Autumn/Winter months can we please draw your attention to staying safe:-
1. We have experienced copper piping being taken from the outside of properties which run gas into your home for central heating. In some incidents these have literally been ripped off the walls.This can be extremely dangerous if the heating is turned on! Please check that nothing has been tampered with before use.
2. Oil tanks need to be checked regularly in relation to oil theft. This is always higher in the colder months.
3. If you have to unlock your tank and the oil is to be delivered when you are not there see if a neighbour would unlock it and lock it up after the delivery. This is to stop potential thieves who may be watching to see where the oil is being delivered.
4. It might be worthwhile investing in security lighting to cover the tank, if you already have one please ensure it is still bright and in good working order.
5. Alarms for heating oil tanks are available from most security retailers, the Bobby Scheme will fit alarms for elderly residents at a charge.
6. As gardening equipment is starting to be put away in sheds please look at the locks, lighting (if any) and shed alarms etc. We have had a spate of shed burglaries, over the weekend of the 5th and 6th, three were reported in March.
And a final note, please think about checking elderly neighbours as it starts to get colder. Just making sure their heating is working and things are safe, especially if they do not have immediate family or they live along way away is enough to show you are there for them if needed.