Share your views on smallholding with others. Send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS 80360
Bermondsey and Old Southwark (House of Commons)
Mr Simon Hughes MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery: 4 Market Place
Surgery Tel: 020 7232 2557
MP Since - 1983 Majority - 8,530 Born - 17/05/1951, Single.
Education - Llandaff Cathedral School Cardiff, Christ College Brecon. Selwyn College Cambridge. Inns of Court School of Law. Post Graduate College of Europe - Bruges.
Previous Occupation - Commission of European Communities - Brussels and Council of Europe (Strasbourg) (1975-77). Barrister London (1978).
Personal Overview - Tends to the left in the Liberal Democrats, elected as the youngest Opposition MP in 1983, and a founder member of the Liberal Democrats in 1988. He has representations on parliamentary All Party Groups (particularly religious groups, e.g. Vice Chairman Christian Fellowship All Party Group). He appears determined to fight for causes that he believes in, for instance Human Rights, or trying to save Guy's Hospital in his constituency. He has been an anti nuclear campaigner and has a strong interest in environmental issues. He has held a wide range of posts for his party, and has interests in Education. He has also led a team of Lib/Dem MPs looking at Urban and Community Affairs covering Education, Housing, Community Relations, Local Government and Urban Policy. He lost the 1999 leadership election to Charles Kennedy after Paddy Ashdown's decision to stand down, but retained a senior Liberal Democrat post. Was selected as the Liberal Democrat candidate for the London Mayoral elections in 2004. Entered the leadership race to succeed Charles Kennedy in January 2005, becoming the favorite to replace him. He faced a tricky political and personal test, when during the leadership campaign he admitted that he had previously had relationships with both men and women. It is likely that his personal disclosure may have harmed his chances in the party leadership campaign in which he was ultimately unsuccessful. Despite his high profile, he did not manage to gain a role in the Liberal Democrat/Conservative Government in May 2010. He was however elected Deputy Party Leader in June 2010 defeating Tim Farron by winning the votes of 38 of 57 Liberal Democrat MPs. This followed the decision of Vince Cable to stand down and concentrate on his Ministerial role. Appointed to a Government communication post as 'Advocate for Access to Education' in December 2010 to assist the Government in explaining its policies on higher and further education, an unpaid non ministerial role. He had previously abstained on the December 2010 parliamentary vote on raising tuition fees.
Political History - MP Southwark & Bermondsey (1983-97), MP Southwark North & Bermondsey (1997-2010), MP Bermondsey and Old Southwark (2010-). Liberal Environment Spokesman (1983-88), Liberal Democrat Spokesman for Health (1988), London (1988-97), Deputy Chief Whip (1989-99), Liberal Democrat Spokesman for Education, Science & Training (1988-89), Church of England (1988-97), Member, Accommodation & Works Select Committee (1992-97), Environment & Natural Resources (1992-94), Urban Affairs & Young People (1994-7), Health Spokesman (1995-99), Home & Legal Affairs (1999-2003), London (2003-04). Party President (2004-08) (also covering Shadow Attorney General role) (2004-07). Shadow Secretary of State for the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (2005). Shadow Attorney General (2005-7), Shadow Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs (2006-07). Shadow Leader of the House of Commons (2007-09). Shadow Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change (2009-10). Member of the Modernisation Select Committee (2007-10). Member of the Joint Committee on Human Rights (2012-). Deputy Liberal Democrat Leader (2010-). Government Advocate for Access to Education (2010-).
Characteristics - A very active MP, who is religious and motivated by educational issues. Known for introducing a Bill to require the Queen to pay income tax. Is likely to oppose abortion and euthanasia. Is an Honorary Fellow of the South Bank University (1994). President of the Southwark Chamber of Commerce.
Business Tel: 020 7219 6256
Interests: Environment,Foreign Affairs,Housing,Abortion,Education & Training,Youth Issues,Human Rights
- Human Rights Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Apprenticeships Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Boxing (Member)
- Christians in Parliament Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conflict Issues (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Credit Unions (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Crossrail Group (Member)
- Parliamentary Group for Energy Studies (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Family Law and the Court of Protection (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Intelligent Energy (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on International Corporate Responsibility: Business, Human Rights and the Environment (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on the Irish in Britain (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Islamophobia (Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Markets Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Non-Profit Making Members' Clubs (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Men's Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Race and Community (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tamils (Vice Chairman)
- Thameslink Route Group (Member)
- Tidy Britain Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Working Poverty (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Youth Affairs (Vice Chairman)
- British-Armenian Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Bangladesh (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Bolivia (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Chile (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Cuba (Member)
- British-Cyprus Group (Member)
- British-Finnish Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Gibraltar Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Hungary Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary British-Latin America Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Mexico (Member)
- Britain-Palestine Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Peru (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Sri Lanka (Member)
- British-Swedish Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Tibet (Member)
- British-Ukraine Group (Vice Chairman)
Lambeth and Southwark (Greater London Authority)
Ms Valerie Shawcross CBE AM (Labour)
GLA Member Since - 2000 Majority - 57,702 Born - N/a.
Education - Has a Masters Degree in Education.
Previous Occupation - Former Croydon Council Leader. Worked for the Inner London Education Authority. Development Project Manager with the Commonwealth Secretariat. Head of Public Affairs for the National Federation of Women's Institutes.
Personal Overview - Former Council Leader who has been involved in developing a London wide Public Sector intranet as Vice Chairman of the London Research Centre. Her interests include women's Issues (she is a former Labour Party National Women's Officer), the environment and participatory democracy.
Political History - Councillor, Croydon BC (1994-2000), former Education Committee Chairman and Council Leader (1997-2000). Member of the London Labour Party Regional Board. GLA Member Lambeth & Southwark (2000-). Member of the Standing Orders Committee (2000-01), Economic Development Committee and Audit Panel (2000-02), Economic & Social Development Committee (2002-05), Planning & Spatial Development Committee (2002-05), Deputy Chairman (2005-08). Chairman of the London Fire & Emergency Planning Authority (2000-). Lead Labour Group member on Skills, Training and Education (2000-08). Advisor in the Mayor's London Cabinet - Fire & Emergency Planning Portfolio (2000-08). Mayor's e-envoy on IT related issues (2000-08). Member of the Environment Committee (2004-08). Member of the Commission on London Governance (2005-08). Chair of the Transport Committee (2008-09), Deputy Chair (2009-10), Chair (2010-11), Deputy Chair (2011-). Member of the Budget and Performance Committee (2008-11). Member of the Confirmation Hearings Committee (2008-).
Other Information - Vice Chairman of the East London Research Centre.
All Party Groups - N/a.
Business Tel: 020 7983 4401
Interests: Environment,Constitutional,Economic Regeneration,Women's Issues,Education & Training,Youth Issues,Human Rights
- Transport Committee (Vice Chairman)
London (European Parliament)
Ms Marina Yannakoudakis MEP (Conservative)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 16/04/1956. Married, 3 children.
Education - Brunel University, BSC in Government, Politics and Modern History. Open University, MA in Education.
Previous Occupation - Financial Director of a family business (pan-European).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament from third place on the London Conservative Party list. Has been involved running a small business for over 23 years with experience negotiating in in Europe on behalf of her UK clients. She has campaigned to reduce regulation on business, reducing EU waste and fraud and on the sensible managing of migration. She also has experience raising funds for charity, as a former Chair of the Mayor of Barnet's Charity Appeal 2005/06 raising money for the mental health charity MIND.
Political History - Councillor, London Borough of Barnet. Has been Deputy Chairman of Chipping Barnet Conservative Association. MEP London Region (2009-). Membe rof the Delegation to the EU-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Joint Parliamentary Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Delegation for relations with Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Kosovo (2009-). Member of the Women's Rights and Gender Equality Committee (2009-). Member of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety Committee (2009-).
Other Information - School Governor. She was a Chairman of the Federation of Conservative Students at Brunel University and Chairperson for Communications on it's Student Union Executive. In her spare time she plays the saxophone and produces her own sculptures which she donates to charity.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Small Business,Business & Finance,Local Government
- Environment, Public Health & Food Safety (Member)
- Women's Rights & Gender Equality (Member)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com